Mindfulness Techniques ~ The Healing Sphere
Tuesday 26 January 2010

Mindfulness Techniques

In this post I am intending to discuss mindfulness and two applications of this technique as a means of off loading baggage and regaining your personal power. Mindfulness is an essential technique in many paths, and is designed firstly to clear blockages via mental stimulation and rewire the neural pathways by exposure to past “trauma” and emotions in a dispassionate fashion in order to reconnect the mental memory with a new less involved emotional memory rather than the previously involved negative emotional memory. (Any memories that arise will have been stored negatively as it is stored as a thought form blockage in your energetic system).

Mindfulness is in essence an extremely simple technique, however depending on your state of mind and level of emotional involvement in any specific memory or situation can be quite difficult to master. Mastery of this technique will bring with it a huge leap towards mastery of your life and mastery of your own personal power.

Technique one – Mindfulness meditation
Mindfulness meditation is a technique which I had difficulty with in the early days. As I could not step back dispassionately from memories and they became what was in effect day dreams, but these day dreams reasserted the emotion of the situation, and reaffirmed both the associated neural pathway and the thought form blockage in much the same way as a nightmare or flash back would do (even though the memory may appear to mature eyes to be nothing particularly important or emotionally stressful).

It is important to remember and reaffirm if necessary, that these images are just memories. They were once real but are not real any more. “I live in the now, and no matter what these memories represent I am perfectly safe.” As you develop in strength and ability you will be able to release these thought forms, thanking them for the lessons and wisdom you have learned from them and send them on their way.

The technique as stated previously is very simple to apply providing you follow the basic rules which are.

Don’t become emotionally involved in a memory.
If you slip in to fantasy or daydream, recognise it and bring yourself back into the present.
Always ask yourself, what does this mean? What have I learned?

To apply the technique simply, find yourself a comfortable meditative position. There is no requirement to adopt any specified posture as any position will work. Clasp your hands on your lap, and regulate your breathing concentrating on the ebb and flow of the in breath and the out breath and let your mind go. Observe anything that may come to mind and let it wash away without any judgement.

Slowly when you are comfortable and ready, breath deep into the pit of your belly as this will increase the energetic effects of the meditation, which are similar to most other techniques I have described in this blog.

An example.
During mindfulness meditation a situation arose in my memory, which involved a heated debate between myself and a third party about an issue we both had with each other. I became emotionally involved in this memory, feeling anger and despair. I found myself drifting with the memory and slowly day dreaming of a different outcome.

I realised I was becoming involved and brought myself back, centred myself and continued. This memory arose many times before I was able to remind myself, that it was a memory, and that it was no longer real or part of my life. I was then able to ask myself, why had I became so angry and frustrated in that situation, which then led me to other situations earlier in my life. This process brought me to the conclusion that I had a deep seated sense of injustice and I needed to let it go, which I did and all of the other memories and thought forms associated with this sense of injustice slowly dissipated, allowing me to progress and move on.

Walking in Mindfulness
Although I have called this technique walking in mindfulness it’s not really the literal walk I am talking about. What I really mean is the day to day walk through life. We should try to observe from moment to moment the environment and its moods, much the same way as we discussed in meditation. We should attempt to view everything from a dispassionate stand point and whenever something happens which causes us to involve our emotions and respond in a way that is not from our inner power we should stop and attempt to understand why.

Mindfulness is an activity that can be done at any time; it does not require sitting, or focusing on the breath, but rather simply realizing what is happening in the present moment is mental content, including simply noticing the mind's usual "commentary". We can be mindful of the sensations in our feet while walking. Once we identify experience as mental content, we have the freedom to cease identification with any pre-programmed judgments/perceptions.

One of the key fundamental approaches to this system allows us to look at our interactions with others and observe our reactions and emotions to changes external to ourselves. Do we react with envy when someone boasts? Do we react with anger when we observe selfishness? Doing this with every communication with people around us can help us to fully understand ourselves and develop mastery over our emotional programmes. Remember these programmes are not you! You are a fluid and compassionate being with the power to respond in anyway you choose in any given moment.

Once the realisation comes home to you, that you are responding because of an incident somewhere in the distant past that has caused you to feel in a certain way and react in certain manner, you can restrict the impact and create a new emotional sensation and a new power to step from.

Summary
This is the first of a number of approaches to removing baggage and destroying karma. Mindfulness has been around for 1500 years or more and works for many people. I personally have found it to be a useful tool for observing the self and have mixed it with other more proactive tools, which have helped me put things behind me more successfully than just mere observation. I recommend that even if you do not have success removing thought forms with this technique that you develop and master the ability to at least observe responses which you can then use other tools which I will share with you to sever the bonds of karma with those events.

 
Rob Lightbearer